The project focuses on disseminating scientific information and technologies at the villages and provincial levels where project sites are located. The project team has engaged with local and international media outlets, developed a wide range of communications materials (sometimes in dual languages) and presented our work at local, regional and international forums.
The water beneath our feet is a valuable irrigation resource for farmers affected by drought in rural Laos, and can increase crop yields and income for farmers. Students at the Faculty of Water Resources and Management have created an experimental site to research groundwater irrigation efficiency and improve soil fertility. They found that the best way to save water is by using drip irrigation, and that the more crops were produced when compost was added to the soil.
Brochures And Flyers
Project brief, October 2015. [Download PDF – 2.30MB]
Project brief in Lao, March 2015. [Download PDF – 721KB]
Brochure for Ekxang, June 2015. [Download PDF – 817KB]
Enhancing Productivity and Livelihoods among Smallholders Irrigations through Biochar and Fertilizer Amendments [Download PPT 1.30MB]
Groundwater irrigation to enhance the production of rainfed agriculture. (Download PDF 1.15MB)
Community participation, a catalyst for durability and success? A case study from Ekxang village, Vientiane Province Lao PDR. (Download PDF 410KB)
Groundwater project’s outputs and impacts (Download PDF 1.75MB)
Hydrogeological Assessment in upper Vientiane Plain, Lao PDR (Download PDF 593 KB)
GRACE detection of seasonal variation in total water storage in Southern Lao PDR (Download PDF 377 KB)
Assessment of groundwater resources to support sustainable development of Khiat Ngong Village, Champasack Province, Southern Lao PDR (Download PDF 1.28 MB)
Irrigation Groundwater Quality for Agricultural Usability in Biochar and Fertilizer Amendments among Smallholders Irrigators in Ekxang Village, Vientiane Province, Lao PDR [Download PDF – 5.22 MB]
Enhancing Productivity and Livelihoods among Smallholders Irrigators through Biochar and Fertilizer Amendments at Ekxang Village, Vientiane Province, Lao PDR [Download PDF – 4.08 MB]
Power Point on CCAFS and Climate Smart Villages for Media Workshop, April 2015. [Download PPT – 3.82MB]
GW Recharge assessment in the VTP Application of WetSpass Graphical User Interface, Version 2012 [Download PPT – 2.05MB]
Assessment of groundwater resources & water balance to support sustainable development of Khiat Ngong Village, Pathoumphone
District, Champasak Province, Lao PDR
Ekxang trial from the viewpoint of water users’ group [Download PDF – 823KB]
Estimating of groundwater use in the Nam Panai watershed [Download PDF – 1.28MB]
Estimation of rainfall-runoff and ground water recharge in Xebanghieng River Basin by using SCS and Base Flow Separation Methods [Download PDF – 3.94MB]
Feasibility studies for establishing a village-scale groundwater irrigation scheme at the THXP site, Bolikhamxay province[Download PPT – 10.09MB]
Groundwater governance, including a review of existing agricultural strategies within the broader context of water-land-energy nexus [Download PDF – 1.25MB]
Groundwater irrigation and on-farm residues as means to improve cash crop production [Download PDF – 1.55MB]
Groundwater management [Download PDF – 6.19MB]
Groundwater Modelling of the Vientiane Plain [Download PDF – 6.70MB]
Groundwater recharge assessment in Laos and the lower Mekong Basin [Download PDF – 1.12MB]
Guidelines for community-based groundwater irrigation in Lao PDR [Download PDF – 427KB]
Household livelihood and groundwater [Download PDF – 772KB]
Multi-scale groundwater assessment [Download PDF – 5.41MB]
Project contribution to GoL in Lao PDR [Download PDF – 3.78MB]
Understanding of opportunities and constraints for agricultural groundwater use [Download PDF – 2.49MB]
Water quality studies in Vientiane Plains [Download PDF – 2.77MB]
- At project inception a Media Release was prepared and distributed to media outlets including the Vientiane Times, KPL News, Lao Phatthana Daily, Socio Economic Daily, Lao Voices, Voice of America News, Radio Free Asia, and Radio Nationale Lao.
- Radio interviews (in Lao) were given by IWMI for Radio Free Asia (http://www.rfa.org/lao/environment/iwmi-to-help-agricultural-thru-ground-water-project-04032013154321.html) and for Voice of America News (http://lao.voanews.com/content/interview-mr-boumee-maokhamphiou-information-officer-of-the-international-water-management-institute-in-vientiane-laos/1611774.html)
- The activities of the project in Ekxang village were reported in the Vientiane Times (1 October, 2014)
- An article on the project was published in the ACIAR Country newsletter in August 2014
- IWMI Today blog: IWMI partners with NUoL’s Faculty of Water Resources for groundwater trials (18 November 2015)
- A two day workshop was organized in April 2015 by CCAFS and some of the project partners on Mobilizing Science for Climate Change, Agriculture & Food Security: Engaging the Media in Lao PDR” and “Launching of Climate-smart Village (CSV)”. Was attended by around 70 participants including >50 from the Lao media across the country. Day two included a visit to Ekxang village and the irrigation trial site by all the attendees. Around six printed media stories were written soon after the workshop.
See News and events for information on study tours, media workshops, and other events.